Dairy Free Coconut Buttercream Frosted Cupcakes (Gluten Free Optional)
In the summertime, we crave lighter, fluffier desserts with summery flavor profiles. Coconut buttercream is like a coconut dream and perfect for a beachside celebration - or if you just want to feel transported to a tropical beachside celebration.
A vegan or gluten-free diet doesn't have to mean no dessert
Our Grandmother Willa made the best cakes. She knew that using real ingredients was the secret to making delicious desserts. Our cousin, Ciara, seems to have inherited her cake mastery abilities, but she’s put her own contemporary spin on old favorites, using gluten free, dairy free, and vegan ingredients. She’s also great about providing lots of options so regardless of whether you are a strict vegan, or someone who is sometimes dairy free and loves butter, or strictly gluten free, she’s got you covered.
Willa's is the perfect oat milk to use for baking
Now you might expect a dairy free coconut buttercream cupcake to use coconut milk. But we don’t like our coconut desserts to be too coconut forward. Because we only use whole grain oats, the oat milk balances the subtle coconut tones with a nuttiness that rounds it out. The oat milk also gives it the exact amount of creaminess you’re looking for in a buttercream frosting. And if you’re a pro at piping, the oat milk helps make for beautiful piping.
Her vanilla dairy free cake batter is cakey, fluffy, just the right amount of sweetness. Not too sweet because nobody wants their cake so sweet they’re instantly shot with sugar high. We like to be able to taste the cake and the vanilla through the sugar. With oat milk, you can make a dairy free vanilla cake without having to feel like you’re compromising on flavor, texture, or airiness.
Coconut Buttercream Frosting Recipe
1/2 Cup coconut oil
1 Cup powdered sugar
1 Tbs Willa's Oatmilk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp coconut extract
Topping: toasted coconut (unsweetened)
- Cream the coconut oil for 30 - 60 seconds or until light and fluffy
- Add powdered sugar and mix
- Add Willa's Oatmilk and continue to mix
- Add extracts and mix
- Top with toasted coconut
Dairy Free Gluten Free Vanilla Cake Recipe
1 1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour or Gluten Free Flour like Cup 4 Cup
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp sea salt
1 Cup sugar
1/2 Cup softened butter or coconut oil
2 eggs (room temperature) or vegan substitute
1 tsp real vanilla extract
1/8 tsp almond extract
2/3 Cup Willa's Oatmilk
2 Tbs rum (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, gently combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, cream butter or coconut oil for 30-60 seconds.
- Add sugar, a little at a time, and mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs until you see bubbles.
- Add eggs a little at a time and mix with a rubber spatula after each addition.
- Add vanilla, almond extract, and rum (optional) and mix with a rubber spatula.
- Then alternate adding dry ingredients and oat milk a little at a time while stirring.
- Pour into a cupcake pan while filling to about 2/3 full for each cupcake.
- Place pan on the middle oven rack and bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Interested in cooking and baking with oat milk? Take a look at our blog post to learn more.